Sustainability is a key component of the Vision Modular System and contributes in the areas of environmental, social and economics.
In modular construction up to 70% of the value of the project is in manufactured components that are delivered ‘just in time’ to site. The off-site construction process leads to considerable sustainability and site organisational benefits, such as
- Significantly smaller carbon footprint than traditional construction methods due to the speed of construction resulting in the overall project being delivered at least 40% quicker than traditional construction.
- Reduced storage and hire charges.
- Construction work on site is inherently dangerous. With the Vision Modular System, processes can be carried out in more controlled and comfortable factory conditions where safety requirements can be more easily met and policed, and healthy and comfortable working conditions are more readily maintained.
- Reduced waste and landfill charges, and more opportunities for recycling. There is 90% less waste produced on site over traditional build.
- Greater recycling of materials in factory conditions by partnering with specialist waste reduction advisors and employing specialist waste management contractors.
There are 75% less personnel on site over traditional build. A Steel Construction Institute study has shown that man hour productivity was 80% more efficient in the factory than on-site.
Processes removed from the site to a controlled factory environment reduce the amount of time spent on site, which leads to reduced impacts on the locality. This translates into less disruption time around the locality of the site thus reducing
- Local traffic disruption.
There is over 60% reduction in the numbers of deliveries to site compared to traditional construction methods. Fewer movements of personnel to site, beneficially impacting on the locality during the construction process.
Higher quality and reliability (such as in acoustic insulation) with fewer call-backs and life cycle issues.
Employment at a factory, manufacturing prefabricated building components, is generally more stable and long term than site based employment, which is intrinsically transient. We work closely with the local JobCentre Plus to ensure all openings are advertised locally. We are committed to ongoing training and development of our workforce. This generates a higher skills level and promotes individual personal development. In addition we promote the use of local suppliers and service providers to foster overall business development within the community in which we operate.
More reliable thermal performance facilitated by correct positioning of insulation and air-barriers, which leads to improved energy saving, air-tightness and reduced cold bridging.
- More efficient use of materials in manufacture
- More precise ordering of materials
- Fewer off-cuts
- Less packaging.
- Less waste on site
- Fewer skips
- Reduced landfill charges.
- Safer construction practice and better working conditions in a factory environment.
- Faster construction process
- Less noise
- Less vibration
- Fewer other site disturbance
- Factory based activities allow better and safer working conditions leading to
- Better quality
- Reduced level of defects
- Improved quality control procedures
- Improved efficiency in the use of resources.